Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 7: Round Table on European Construction & Europe's Future

Our last discussion for today was a round table on European construction and Europe's future. The esteemed guests were Mme Georgette Godes, M Alain Beltran, Mme Anne Houtman, and M Yves Bertoncini

What I will always remember is Mme Georgette Godes' description of D-Day. I will not write here her words to us because they are her words to share with others. Powerful and emotional, her story to us carries a profound message that war, regardless of the beginning and the end, is useless and I absolutely agree with this point. In an interview when I arrived in Caen, I was asked for my opinion on D-Day. War is unnecessary; when thousands of lives are violently lost in war it is in fact thousands upon thousands of families, friends and loved ones that are deeply and permanently affected by the death of those they've lived with, known and cherished. As an outsider looking in, I can never truly understand the tragedies of D-Day, but I will always remember Mme Godes' story and I thank her for sharing her story with us.









No comments:

Post a Comment